xMaintenance 1 year ago by admin
We are currently in the process of updating our website. A lot of information needed to be updated so if you would like to make an enquiry please call us or send us an e-mail.Thanks, Got it.
xCovid 1 year ago by admin
Covid 19 - We are here to help
In accordance with Government advice, everyone in our business is working from home and our office will be closed to visitors.
However, we will continue to provide legal services on a “business as usual” basis by our key staff working remotely from home.

Need to contact one of us directly? Contact
Asghar Khan on 07886806090 or akhan@aqarchers.co.uk and Muhammad Azeem on 07832338656 or azeem@aqarchers.co.uk
Should you need to get hold of any of us, please email or call, directly, the person (lawyer or legal executive) with whom you normally deal.
We will be very happy to arrange meetings by way of tele-conference or virtual meetings (Zoom or similar) as an alternative to face-to-face attendances, or simply have consultations by telephone call.
We will endeavour to provide ongoing updates on our website on relevant legal issues, as the situation develops.

Wishing you the very best of health in these very difficult times.Thanks, Got it.

9:30 - 05:30

Our Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

020 7791 3223

Call Us For Free Consultation



EU Residence Cards and Family Permits

AQ Archers > EU Residence Cards and Family Permits

Immigration EU Residence Cards and Family Permits

Before March 2019, the EU Residence Card was widely used by non-EEA extended family members of EEA nationals exercising their treaty rights in the UK, to provide proof of the right of residence. It was and is not mandatory to apply for a Residence Card, however, it can make it easier to prove your right of residence when arriving back in the UK. While it is still possible to apply for an EU Residence Card, this scheme has now been largely superceded by the EU Settlement Scheme (also referred to as the EU Settled and Pre-settled Status schemes)

The EU Settled and Pre-settled Status schemes provide EU nationals (and their family members) who have been living in the UK, the opportunity to stay permanently, now the country has left the EU following the Brexit referendum.

As a London based immigration law firm, AQ Archers Solicitors regularly assists non-EEA family members of EEA nationals in the UK with their immigration matters. We will assess whether an EEA Residence Card or Family Permit is the best option given your circumstances, and recommend another route if it is not.

If you engage our services, we will remove the worry from your shoulders, providing you with the confidence that your application, and that of your family members, has the best chance of success.


Am I eligible for an EEA Residence Card?

To apply for an EEA Residence Card in the UK, you will need to prove you have an EEA national family member or extended family members who is currently exercising their treaty rights in the UK or is a permanent resident (not a UK citizen).

A family member is defined as:

  • A spouse or civil partner of an EEA national;
  • A child of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner who is under 21;
  • A child of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner, aged over 21 and who is dependent on the EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner;
  • A parent or grandparent who is dependent on the EEA national or his/her spouse;

An ‘extended family member’ is defined as:

  • An unmarried partner who is in a ‘durable relationship’;
  • Other family members, such as brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins who are dependent on the EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner;
  • A relative of an EEA national or his/her spouse or civil partner who requires personal care from the EEA national on serious health grounds;

Treaty rights means that the individual is working, a jobseeker, self-employed, a self-sufficient person with health insurance, or a student with health insurance;


How do I apply for an EU Residence Card?

You will need to download and complete the relevant application form. There are two versions, as follows:

  • Form EEA (FM) – application for a direct family member,
  • Form EEA (EFM) – application for an extended family member

With your application, you will need to provide your current passport, two passport photos, a photo of your EEA family member, your EEA family member’s passport or national identity card, and evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member (e.g. marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate, or proof that you have lived together for two years if you’re unmarried).

You will also need to pay a fee of £65.


Why should I engage AQ Archers to assist with my EU Residence Card application?

AQ Archers have considerable experience of helping non-EEA family (and extended family) members of EEA nationals in the UK with their UK residence matters. We have an in-depth understanding of the policies and procedures followed by the UK Home Office, allowing us to quickly spot any possible areas of weakness in your application and advise on the steps necessary to resolve them.

Our team are highly professional and take great care in their client’s immigration matters. You can be assured that by using our services, we will lift the burden of securing immigration clearance from your shoulders, allowing you to focus on your life, your family, and your work.


AQ Archers, based in London, can assist you with all aspects of obtaining ILR based on long residence for you and your family. To speak to one of our consultants, please call 020 8521 2605.

Our lawyers will also represent you in civil litigation cases such as divorce.